Thursday, June 12, 2008

What's a good Tippmann paintball gun for beginners?


Q: I'm just starting out to play with my son. He's 13. I'm looking to buy 2 paintball guns for us to play with. My uncle has a house in the woods so we'll be playing there. I also plan to go to paintball fields. I want paintball guns that are good and will last and that i can customize in the future. Do you have any suggestions? I was looking at the Tippmann 98 Custom Pro Platinum Series ACT etrigger or the Tippmann 98 Custom ACT Platinum. What's the difference with all the Tippmann 98s.

A1: "The difference between the tippman 98C paintball guns comes down to bells and whistles.

The 'ACT' stands for 'anti-chop technology', which will help stop you from breaking paint with the bolt (chopping).

An e-trigger is an electronic grip frame, that instead of the trigger directly operating the sear, the trigger operates an electronic switch, which controls a solenoid to operate the sear. This also adds in firing modes - full automatic and ramping as well as standard semi. The big disadvantage here is that you introduce electronics and batteries, which may die or such.

An R/T is a gas assist to the standard mechanical trigger, it basically resets your trigger faster, allowing you to shoot faster. It can also be tweaked into a full auto mode. The advantage of this over an e-trigger is that it doesn't need batteries, but it doesn't have the firing modes either.

The Tippmann platinum series makes a couple changes to the basic 98C, I think it makes it easier to break down and work on, and makes it easier to upgrade. But don't quote me on that.

Honestly, a Tippmann 98C with ACT paintball gun is the best place to start. I'm not a fan of 'accuracy by volume', no matter how fun it seems to fling a lot of paint downfield. I would rather focus on improving accuracy than improving rate of fire."

A2: "i love my Tippmann 98 paintball gun with r/t and cyclone. But i think you should go with an Tippmann A5 paintball gun with an r/t factory installed. It will give you the extra fire power you'll need with the response trigger and the cyclone feed system comes with the tippmann a5 paintball gun. You and your son will be happy with it in stock form. Once you get the feel of the game and sport you can easily modify it to match your needs. Plus your looking for a paintball gun that will last, a tippmann is exactly what your looking for.

A3: "You will be happy with any tippmann paintball gun you buy. I have a tippmann 98 paintball gun and works great however it NEEDS a NEW BARREL the one that it comes with is horrible i recomend a CP. any CP i have a 14 inch. If you cant find get a JJ... my recomendations. might help might not... thanks its a thumbs up for me! "

via: http://www.pbreview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=428655